1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
2 onions diced
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and grated
½ finely chopped red chilli (or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 cup (200g) dried red lentils, uncooked (rinsed and drained)
1 can (400ml) chopped tomatoes
1 can (400ml) coconut milk, light
2 cups (500ml) vegetable broth/stock
Salt and pepper
Juice of half a lemon
2 handfuls fresh spinach washed
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and red chilli and cook for a few minutes.
2. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, masala to pan and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the lentils, tomatoes with their juice, coconut milk and broth/stock, then stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and cook on a medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes until reduced and thick. If you have time, you can leave it a little longer on a very low heat for even more flavour (just stir often and check it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan).Taste and add more chilli if desired.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and spinach until it wilts.
5. Serve warm with brown rice/quinoa
Image Source: https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/one-pot-lentil-dahl-rice/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=Anetta%20%7C%20The%20Wanderlust%20Kitchen&utm_content=One%20Pot%20Lentil%20Dahl%20and%20Rice